Join Andrew Collier and Hanjo Odendaal for a workshop on using R for Web Scraping.
Who should attend?
This workshop is aimed at beginner and intermediate R users who want to learn more about using R for data acquisition and management, with a specific focus on web scraping.
What will you learn?
You will learn:
- data manipulation with
- tools for accessing the DOM;
- scraping static sites with
- scraping dynamic sites with
- setting up an automated scraper in the cloud.
See programme below for further details.
|Where||-||Rise, Floor 5, Woodstock Exchange, 66 Albert Road, Woodstock, Cape Town|
|When||-||14-15 June 2018|
There are just 20 seats available. A 10% discount is available for groups of 4 or more people from a single organisation attending both days.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the workshop.
- Motivating Example
- R and the tidyverse
- Vectors, Lists and Data Frames
- Loading data from a file
- Manipulating Data Frames with
- Pivoting with
- Functional programming with
- Introduction to scraping
- Developer Tools
- CSS and XPath
robots.txtand site map
- Scraping a static site with
- What happens under the hood
- What the hell is
- Assisted Assignment: Movie information from IMDB
- Case Study: Investigating drug tests using
- Interacting with APIs
- Using XHR to find an API
- Building wrappers around APIs
- Scraping a dynamic site with
- Navigation around web-pages
- Case Study
- Deploying a Scraper in the Cloud
- Launching and connecting to an EC2 instance
- Headless browsers
- Automation with cron